This past Sunday, I invited my parents over for dinner. It was the first meal we would share together in my new place and I felt this celebratory occasion deserved a new recipe. In keeping with my mantra of clean, healthy, balanced eating, I developed a chicken dish that was sure to please: chicken breasts marinated in a savory mix of balsamic and herbs, stuffed with sautéed onions, spinach, and garlic herb cheese. Are you drooling yet? Just wait until you try it! I paired this dish alongside a large salad full of fresh vegetables, but it would be great with brown rice, roasted fall and winter produce like butternut squash and potatoes, or atop whole wheat pasta with a touch of tomato sauce. I promise no matter what you choose to pair it with, this chicken dish will delight the senses, satiate a roaring appetite, and leave you with a svelte figure throughout the winter months!
Stuffed Yet Slimming Balsamic Chicken: (Serves 4)
1 Tsp. Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tsp. Chopped Garlic (or 2 cloves chopped)
2-3 Pinches of Dried Rosemary
Fresh Ground Pepper
2 Pinches of Dried Basil
1 Pinch of Dried Oregano
½ Organic Yellow Onion, chopped
8 ounces Frozen Organic Spinach, thawed and drained
2 Laughing Cow Garlic Herb Cheese Wedges
Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
Optional Additions: 2 Tbsp. Chopped Walnuts and/or Dried Cranberries
4 Organic Chicken Breasts, about 6 oz. each, trimmed of excess fat
100% Organic Olive Oil Cooking Spray
1. Place four, trimmed, chicken breasts into a large plastic, food storage or freezer bag. Using a meat mallet or hammer, pound the chicken to tenderize and thin it out.
2. In a second food storage bag, combine all ingredients for the marinade. Then add in the chicken, seal the bag while making sure to press the extra air out, and toss the chicken. Massage the marinade into each breast. Be thorough with this step and honor those breasts, after all it is Breast Cancer Awareness month!! Now refrigerate the marinating chicken for a couple hours or overnight.
3. After the chicken is finished marinating, lay the breasts out on a large plate and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
4. Coat a medium sauté pan with cooking spray, and sauté the chopped onion until soft and slightly brown. Next, add in the spinach, cheese wedges, and ground pepper. While stirring, allow the cheese to melt and all the ingredients to combine.
5. Divide the filling into four equal portions and spoon onto each chicken breast. Roll each breast up and secure with two toothpicks.
6. All that is left to do now…is enjoy!!
Nutritional Information (without nuts or cranberries):
Fat: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 6.5 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 42 grams